40 Weeks

A mother's seventh (and final) journey through the wonders of pregnancy.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

6 Weeks


Baby at 6 weeks.

At the end of the sixth week, the embryo looks like a small prehistoric creature (or something out of 'Alien'). Little buds that will become the arms appeared on Monday. Today, buds appear that will become the legs. On average, the baby is about 3mm from coccyx to the tip of the head (the size of a large grain of rice). In fact, at the beginning of the sixth week the embryo was 1.5mm and by today it will be 5mm.

The cells that will make up all of the baby's body parts and systems are dividing furiously as the body begins to take shape. The baby has dark spots where the eyes and nostrils are beginning to take shape. Shallow pits on the sides of the head mark the developing ears. The baby's hands and feet look like paddles, with thick webbing between the developing digits, but the fingers and toes will soon become more distinct. Below the opening that will later be the baby's mouth, there are small folds where the neck and lower jaw will eventually develop. (Inside, the tongue and vocal cords are just beginning to form.) The baby's heart (which is starting to divide into the right and left chambers) is beating about 100 to 130 beats per minute almost twice as fast as an adult's — and blood is beginning to circulate through the body. The intestines are developing and tiny breathing passages are beginning to appear where the lungs will be. Baby is also starting to build muscle fibers and, halfway through this week, will likely start moving its tiny limbs.

There's something new circulating in the medical field regarding prenatal vitamins. Suddenly it's not just folic acid that is so important, but Omega-3 fatty acids, as well. K won't let me take the pretty little pink prenatal vitamins that I like so much, but instead keeps bringing home samples of vitamins with Omega-3, which usually have two separate pills, the prenatal vitamin and a fish oil capsule or something like that. I do not like them, Sam I am! I've tried promising to eat more salmon, more eggs with Omega-3, more olive oil ... all to no avail. It's very hard to argue successfully with a doctor about medical things. I'm trying now to remember all the great methods I had of tricking my mom into thinking I had taken my vitamins when I was small, but on the other hand, I remember when I was finally caught, and that was no fun. There's a part of me that says, "I've been having babies for 17 years (wow!), never took folic acid with the first one, never took Omega-3 with the last four, and they've all been fine." On the other hand, now that I am considered "of advanced maternal age," I suppose I'll do whatever I can to ensure a
happy, healthy baby. Omega-3 it is.

Still no morning sickness to speak of. For those who like to speculate, I've had sweet cravings with each girl and savory cravings with each boy. My cravings so far seem to be sweet. It's still early though, so we'll see!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home