40 Weeks

A mother's seventh (and final) journey through the wonders of pregnancy.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

39 Weeks, 3 Days

At my 39-week checkup on Tuesday, the doctor was very optimistic that we'd be able to come in and have the baby while she was on labor and delivery this Sunday. I personally think she's a little over-optimistic, but I much prefer that to her resigning herself to doing a C-section!

As I understand it, if the baby is head down (which it was as of Friday morning, but no telling after all the somersaults he was doing last night) and the cervix is favorable (which it hasn't been,) I'm to call labor and delivery on Sunday and tell them I think I'm in labor, at which point they'll tell me to come in, I'll say the doctor wanted to see me, she'll examine me, and declare that I am indeed in labor, and we'll induce. I think she's wanting to avoid scheduling an induction because of how easily the baby is still flipping around and how long I could be postponed if the beds fill up.

The problem is, I can't see myself, expecting my seventh child, pulling off "Oh, I think I'm in labor" when I'm obviously not. With my fear of being caught in a lie and my aversion to breaking rules, it's more likely that as soon as they answered the phone, I'd spill the whole plot, get the doctor in some kind of trouble and find myself being told to stay home.

K wants to take me to his office for an ultrasound today to confirm the baby's position, but I don't see much point in going before tomorrow, since he can flip around as soon as we leave the office. I'd love to be induced tomorrow, because my labor is usually 14-16 hours from induction and I would probably deliver in the wee hours of Monday morning, which happens to be Layla's birthday. If K gets the dark-haired baby he's hoping for (Layla has been our only dark-haired child so far,) it will just seem even more like an extra special gift.

In summary, I might go to the hospital to have the baby tomorrow, or I might not. I'm trying not to get my hopes up so much that I'm disappointed tomorrow, but I need to get my hopes high enough that I have the motivation to go buy the baby things we still need and to pack a hospital bag. Here's hoping, then!


Post a Comment

<< Home