40 Weeks

A mother's seventh (and final) journey through the wonders of pregnancy.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

37 Weeks, 1 Day

Since this is a high risk pregnancy, I had a biophysical profile done at my last prenatal visit, and they'll continue to do them weekly until I deliver. Everything looks fine, although the abdominal circumference is measuring about 2 weeks behind the rest of the baby. No one seems terribly concerned about that. He supposedly weighs about 6 pounds now and is at the 30th percentile for height and weight. K is concerned that the baby is a little small (for one of mine, at least,) and hasn't grown as much as expected since the last ultrasound he did, combined with my lack of recent weight gain. I'm quite happy that I haven't been gaining, but I understand the concern.

The biggest concern for me is that this baby, like Maya, has no intention of staying head-down for delivery. Maya was transverse off and on right up until the end, and we even had a C-section scheduled. Having K around to do periodic exams and sonograms was handy, since the day she went head-down he was able to call and talk Dr. Powers into inducing. Even then, she shifted into a transverse position after they had hooked me up to the IV and the epidural, but before any medication was administered. I sat there begging her to turn while they went to get an ultrasound machine, and literally seconds before they came in, I felt a big shift and she went head-down. I know Dr. Powers won't hesitate to do a C-section if the baby is transverse when he thinks I should deliver. He wants to induce about a week early to avoid either an emergency C-section or my delivering of the baby so fast that I can't even get to the hospital in time. Not that any of my children have ever taken less than 12 hours to be born. I don't really do spontaneous labor before my due date, either. Justin was 10 days late, Mina (induced) and Layla were 2 weeks late, Layth and Maya were both induced about a week early. Even the two spontaneous labors needed Pitocin to move things along.

And still no name!

4 Comments:

  • At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    More baby names:

    Zain
    Daniel
    Adam
    Mikaeel
    Haris
    Rayn
    Aydin

    Possible combos...
    Daniel Zain
    Adam Haris
    Aydin Mikaeel
    Khoury Zain
    Zain Mikaeel

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Nikki said…

    Zain and Rayn are two of my favorites! Zain has already been discarded because K's brother has a daughter named Zaina, and this would be culturally unacceptable. Rayn is up in the air until we find an impartial, knowledgeable Muslim to get the traditional pronunciation from ... we like the sound of "Rain" but not "Rine" because it sounds too close to "Ryan" and we have to have a convincing argument to keep certain family members from saying it wrong. Mikhail is on our short list, but K is concerned that it sounds too Russian. (Yeah, I'm rolling my eyes, too.) I liked Aydin as while I was pronouncing it "AY-din," but I've been informed the traditional Muslim pronunciation is "eye-DEEN," so it's out. We've liked Adam for years, but there is some family opposition to that, as well as K's concern that it will be pronounced the Christian way instead of the Arabic way (a-DOM.)

    We don't have to worry about combos (thank goodness!) because we don't generally give our children middle names. K and his brother got to choose their own middle names when they were about 10 years old, and Justin told me that he'd have loved that option, so that's the plan. Maya Yasmin is the exception, because we wanted to name her after Mina, and if God is kind enough to give us another girl, she'll have Layla as her middle name. Otherwise, we plan to officially add Layla as a second middle name for Maya.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Poor K! He probably doesn't know that no matter what name you give your child, it will be mispronounced, misspelled, nicknamed and mangled by somebody!! It doesn't matter if you name the boy "John Doe," there will always be something wrong to be done with it. Yes, for some names it would be more of a constant irritation than others, but for heaven's sake, name the baby what you want and don't worry about some bozo messing it up.

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    More fun names:

    Hadi
    Hamal
    Hani
    Eisa
    Naji
    Nuri
    Jamal
    Rashad

     

Post a Comment

<< Home